Innerspring mattresses are not as common with the online-only companies (due to shipping constraints), so I was excited to get a chance to review a new one.
Aviya is significantly less expensive than similar companies (think Saatva or WinkBeds), so I was actually very surprised to see the quality so high. You can check aviya mattress review here:
Though overall I really liked the mattress overall and had a good experience, I had a few complaints as well.
You’ll love Aviya if you…
- Want great value – Aviya is one of the few online-only companies to offer an innerspring mattress, so as result of the business model you’ll see great value compared to the big guys (like Beautyrest)
- Like the innerspring feel – Aviya does have a layer of foam on top, but it feels more like a spring mattress (some hybrids feel more like a foam mattress)
- Have a firmness preference – Aviya offers plush, luxury firm, and firm models (I tried the luxury firm).
- Have a lower budget – Aviya is priced pretty significantly below competitors ($799 for a Queen size), I really can’t name an innerspring competitor in this price range with a better mattress
You may not like Aviya if you…
- Prefer a foam feel – Aviya does have a top layer of foam, but it feels more like an innerspring mattress in general. The plush model may have a bit more of a foam feel, but I suspect it will still generally act like an innerspring mattress.
- Want a true luxury mattress – Aviya is a great mattress and great value, but if you’re willing to pay up, more expensive mattresses will offer more luxury specs.
Aviya Firmness and Feel
You can see in the video below that Aviya definitely feels and behaves like an innerspring mattress. The model shown in the video is again the Luxury-Firm, which I recommend for 90% of sleepers. Only go with the Plush or Firm models if you have a very strong firmness preference.
The mattress has great spring and a very average firmness for this model, I’d say 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Note that if you are very heavy or light the mattress firmness will feel very different, so make sure to consider that in your purchase decision.
Aviya Motion Transfer Test
With any innerspring mattress, you should always take a close look at the motion isolation performance. If you sleep with a partner on a poorly constructed innerspring mattress, you are going to be disturbed any time they move at all. Fortunately Aviya considered motion transfer in their construction, and performs way above average on the motion transfer test.
Aviya Mattress Construction
Aviya is manufactured by a team with many years in the mattress industry, so they definitely took the time to make a well constructed mattress (they definitely spent some time thinking about long-term durability).
The construction changes slightly based on the model, but generally the layers consist of:
- Quilted cover: foam quilted layer with a stretch-knit cover
- Top comfort layer: 1.8 pcf polyurethane foam (amount varies by model)
- Foam support layer: 1.8 pcf polyurethane foam
- Coils: Individually wrapped coils (800 coils for a queen size)
- Base: Stability foam base